Divine Eros Unravells: An inherited choreopoem video and script (c) 2014






Title: Divine Eros Unravels: An inherited choreo-Poem
by Sacred W. Taneshia K. Campbell
(Co-birthed with Emerge fam. and Spirit :D!)

Narrator cue (offstage right):
Facial expression: All Emotional arch- Happy/ JOY/ upward movements

Yesterday
I was Sacred - age 16

Movers Enter stage right to Center stage:
(Movement of desire going towards stage: left- of audience)

Sacred +1/1 cue opening: enters & molds image and facial expression of Divine Love.

Characters Cue marker (except Polina): One at a time enter as image of divine love...

Be sure image on face holds true to emotional intent of character.

I started out as a temple dancer.
I was so honored to be called by Spirit. To praise.
moving in tantric form.
Divine bliss expressed

It started out as a commitment to God
Dancing with Spirit gave life a new meaning
A generational family calling

So I sent for my Jamaican aunties and mother to immigrate
Receive
An honest living- living in love

Last to enter- Polina (role change: Ally to oppressor) cue enter scene and mold image of opening door and pointing to scene-

One day
Priestly men
Came and entered the temple

Music cue- Nina Simone- Images (Track Number 10)

(Narrator NB: escalate voice and say this 2nd cue, nice and loud so we can hear and experience this impact)

CUE- All characters melt into image of oppression- Sacred will begin it. HOLD When formed.

Facial expression: Oppressor- Menaced, Upset, Angry. Oppressed: Sad, fearful, worried.

Allies: Concerned or menacing- depending on role.

Music simmers to a stop- movement begins- narration continues

Came and entered my temple

Pillaged over burnt through forest land
Became my bush

They were the conduit to God
Started calling me a sodomite gyal because (g-e-al)
I represented a conduit that they did not know of
sinful sinful sinful they bade

Bow down before them
And one day

Fist to mouth

(Narrator NB: escalate voice and say this 2nd cue, nice and loud so we can hear and experience this impact)

Fist to mouth

Denae Cue: fist in mouth by this point- ALL HOLD

Legs spread
Palms wide open
He took me

He said my body lured him into sinfulness
My very being was his healing, how could I deny him
His bliss

Quivering body

(Narrator NB: escalate voice and say this 2nd cue, nice and loud so we can hear and experience this impact)

Quivering body

Cue begin movement

My own ecstatic body betrayed me
Forcibly Defiled Divine ecstasy

The one who claimed access to Glory
Forced himself upon me
I hated him
And my body more
But you I loved

And in that love hate
Sarasvati- Divine Wisdom

My daughter was born

Birthed

STOP RELEASE

Cue-
All freeze-
Turn head to audience-
La Maz Breath 3 times.
Form face back to original image before La Maz breath- distinguish
Turn head back to position.

Narrator Continue when reading begins.

What a beautiful little girl

Life force
Bearing the locks of love in the midst of despair

Born in that temple
Without anesthesia

I pulled her out with my bare hands
Amidst family imploding

But today I commit to escape and get back to my direct connection with God
Get out of this place

That has marked my body and soiled my womb
rebirth
For in order for a phoenix to rise it must first burn

You do not get to tell me again
who has access to God

You do not get to tell me I have limited ways
That I lured you in

Wrong Wrong Wrong

Spirit calls us - Get out of this place
I am an inch closer to freedom and yet

I HAVE GOTTEN TOO USED TO THIS FIST REMAINING IN MY MOUTH

Heart-broken patriarchy
Eroticism breaks me open and heals me whole

Narrator Cue: Pause in reading for a three breaths
Characters cue- all hold image- inhale exhale together for three breaths
Each person says a word in that image- cued by Sacred starting
__________________________________________________
ALL Stay with steady slow movement
Emotional arch- Same or what ever arises from desire
Facial expression: Complimentary
(I want this to be as organic as possible. So will specifics are what arise inwardly vs. performatively.)

Ten years later
Today
I am Sacred- age 26
REunited (reunited)
Applied for a visa

to get asylum for my future wife, child, and I

To get asylum in the states
And in brothels
in Oakland streets and Crown Heights
storefront shops
The struggle continues- got to get out of this place

And now
Detention cell
In between here and nowhere
The man with the jaggle tooth told me $500 would buy me freedom
From the threats back home

These higher class uptown moms
Live a life
In a lower class downtown
detention camp
Lovers
born
Out of strife
Melting into the arms of another
This place is like a madhouse

STOP RELEASE

Cue- All freeze- Turn head to audience-
SILENT SCREAM-
Mouths and eyes wide open staring.
Turn head back to position.

Narrator continues reading when movement begins.

Wailing noises and
Screaming mothers
Going mad
And somehow
You find laughter in a moment
Find a dandelion growing out the shoot
Of the fence
Bring it to me
And there lies joy

Eros
Amidst
Destruction
And despair

Enduring love...

I cannot give up now. Got to get out of this place.

Justice seeking Eroticism breaks me open and heals me whole.

Narrator cue: Pause in reading for a three breaths
Characters cue- all hold image- inhale exhale together for three breaths
Each person says a word in that image- starting with Sacred
­­­­­
------------------------------
ALL Stay with steady slow movement

Emotional arch- RELEASE OF TENSION, BUT STILL IN STRUGGLE
 or what ever arises from desire. This portion hasn't yet- future thinking.

Facial expression: Oppressor: Menacing, angry, revelatory, afraid (of loosing power)
Oppressed: Tired, Sad, Fear (Of newly rediscovered power), joy, anger.

Allies: Anger, Fear, Sadness, Joy. Will vary depending on position during movement.

NB: Be present with what arises within: I want this to be as organic as possible. So will specifics are what arise inwardly vs. performatively.

Ten years later
Tomorrow
We are Sacred age 36
ReUnited
Eroticism is laying on my momma's belly
After feeling lost for so long

Her super clean while cluttered one bedroom apartment in Crown Heights Brooklyn

Holding one another
The way I held my daughter at birth
Sarasvati (Sara-s-va-tea)

As the fantasy images of the television flicker in the window

Breaking into fraggled light particles
Sneaking past the steel black window guard
Keeping thieves and light out

My hot head and soft baby hairs stroked by mommy's thinly lined
finger tips

STOP RELEASE

Cue- All freeze-
Turn head to audience-
FACE SADDENED-
EYES WIDE-
TURNS TO slow release into
OUTLOUD slow sad LAUGHTER-
Turn face back to original image
RETURN FACE TO POSITION-

Narrator Continues reading when movement begins.

Laughter medicine melts away tears.

Giggling
To the season finale of
"Once upon a time"

Fantasy real- OUR Church on a Sunday night
No words just warmth

Maternal Brown arms wrapped around
One another in our street clothes
My mom's pet peeve overlooked

It's like a prayer
Love MaGniFied. (magnified)

She 
No longer scared of my gayness rubbing off

Thoughts melt in the heat of the brim of summer

Fear bugs scurry under the bed of what she might catch in between
her soft
Baby blue sheets
When I leave.
When we get out of this fear place.

All that matters now is
Ear to heart
Face to belly that re-birthed we
Breathe to breathe

The clutter of old wounds
And gay stereotypes
melt away
as we get lost in TV fantasy

Love in mother daughter bonds renewed
Scribing new stories out of pillaged bush
Seeking whole liberation amidst shattered dreams

Divine Eroticism cracks me open
& Heals me whole.

Characters cue-
all hold image-
inhale exhale together for three breaths-
Group move slowly to form circle.
Group hug.
Welcome narrator. Hold hands.
Fan out.
Bow.


[Bravo- Thick or thin- oh shit- we made it on thru! :D]




* Disclaimer: This post is not an endorsement of any particular belief system, and more so shares creative opinions. This report is an op-ed piece, and encourages those specifically seeking more info to to make the most informed decisions from a wide range of perspectives, with this as one of many.  I encourage those seeking it to find the best fit for your unique needs. I hope this piece is both informative and enjoyable.

Thank you for coming. Please check out other posts on my website, of interest.
Appreciations as well for being an integral part of the Kuumba Holistic Healing Project's growing community.




To unsubsribe to this e mail listserve, send an e mail to kuumbaproject@gmail.com, with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject post.

Comments

Popular Posts